Funding & Finance Support

Funding & Finance

We have a range of financial support packages that you may be able to access depending on your circumstances. If you’re a student aged 16-18 then you do not pay any tuition, registration or exam fees, but you may be required to purchase course-related resources during your studies.

Are you eligible for 16-19 bursary

To be eligible for the 16 – 19 bursary you must be 18 or under on 31st August in the academic year you start college or be aged 24 and under if have an EHC plan (Educational Healthcare Plan). Other requirements include:

Looked after child

Care Leaver

Receiving income support

Receiving Universal Credit

Receiving both employment or support allowance

Receiving disability allowance or personal independence payment

USEFUL downloads

Helpful Information

If you’re a younger student, you can apply to the Learner Support Fund for additional help with course-related travel expenses and other costs. It should be noted that funds are limited and awards aren’t guaranteed.

The government has extended the free meals support to students from lower income families attending further education courses. This means that if you were in receipt of free meals whilst at school and are aged 16 – 18, you may still receive an allowance towards your lunch. In order to be eligible, you or your parents must be in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:

  • Income support
  • Income-based jobseekers allowance
  • Income-related employment and support allowance
  • Guaranteed element of state pension credit
  • Child tax credit with a gross income of less than £16,190
  • Working tax credit run on — paid for the 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for working tax credit
  • Universal credit (with income under £616.67 per month)

If you think you may be eligible, please call into Student Services to see a member of the Student Finance team.

If you’re a young parent, you may be able to get help with childcare costs (up to £160 per child per week). For more information about this support, please contact the Care to Learn helpline on 0800 121 8989 for more information and an application pack.

Childcare Expenses, including travel expenses to and from a childcare provider for young parents aged 16-18, can also be accessed through the national Care2Learn scheme.

‘Our Pass’ is a free bus travel scheme for 16-18 year olds who live and travel within the Greater Manchester area. Visit for more information on the scheme and to apply.

‘Our Pass’ replaces bursary financial assistance for bus travel if you’re a student within the Greater Manchester area.

Please note: if you use an ‘Our Pass’ for journeys to and from college, you will not be eligible for a travel contribution from the bursary.

An ‘Our Pass’ will cost £10 and this fee will be reimbursed by the college if you are eligible for the bursary, live more than 2 miles from the college, and use an ‘Our Pass’ for your college journeys.

If you live outside the Greater Manchester area, or have to use alternative transport methods, you may be eligible for financial support for travel. Please contact Student Services to discuss this with a Financial Support Officer.