A Level in English Language

Level 1 Diploma

Course Location


Marple College


Marple College

Further Details


College 16-18


A Levels

Course Start Date

Monday 2nd September 2024

Course Duration

Full-time, 1 Year

Course Time

Course Fee

£ 1987.00
You may be eligible for support with your tuition fees - please visit the college website - funding and finance page for further information

Course Code


Course Overview

Studying the English language is not only fascinating but also enables students to develop a wide range of writing skills which are invaluable for both further study and future employment.

Accent, dialect, how language is changing and how we first learn language are only part of the subject. Students also have the opportunity to write creatively and to investigate topics of personal interest such as gender, technology and power. The very good results achieved by our students enable them to progress onto a wide range of university courses and careers.

Developing understanding of and the ability to use the English language creates versatile individuals and broadens career horizons.

Course Requirements


Standard A Level entry requirements: 5 x GCSE grade 5’s or above (must include Maths and English Language).

What you will Learn

There are many opportunities for trips such as to English language conferences that provide students with the chance to listen to well-known experts such as David Crystal. There are also visits to the theatre, films, museums and other places of local interest. The English team at the College are passionate about the subject as well as being very well-qualified. The classroom environment is engaging and stimulating. Unique features of the course include: fostering independent study through coursework (non-exam assessment) and there are a range of cultural trips and enrichment opportunities.


There are two exams after two years (worth 80% of the course) and the other 20% is coursework, focusing on creative writing and an language investigation.


Once you’ve completed the English Language course, you’ll have picked up a range of useful skills including the ability to analyse, debate, create a strong argument and communicate effectively. These skills will prove highly useful when you continue with the subject at university and in employment. This specification is a good building block for higher education courses and careers in journalism, marketing, publishing, drama, academia, linguistics and new media, as well as primary and secondary education.

Career Options

Primary and secondary education, Publishing, Journalism, Advertising, Marketing, ,Politics Law

Mandatory Units

Topics includeLanguage and the individual Language varieties Language, the individual and society Language diversity and change Language in action

Contact Details

For further information please contact T: 0161 886 7070 or E: info@trafford.ac.uk

Extra Costs Involved

Exam Validation Body

Hours Per Week

How Long To Complete

Programme Structure

Contact Details


Although every care has been taken to ensure that the information contained within this document is accurate, there may be changes to this programme and provision. We will endeavour to keep prospective and current students updated where appropriate and when the information becomes available.
READY TO begin your journey?

Apply Now

Course not quite right for you?

try these similar courses