A Level in English Literature

Level 1 Diploma
Share

Course Location

College

Marple College

Location

Marple College

Further Details

Age

College 16-18

Department

A Levels

Course Start Date

Monday 2nd September 2024

Course Duration

Full-time, 1 Year

Course Time

Course Fee

£ 1987.00
You may be eligible for support with your tuition fees - please visit the college website - funding and finance page for further information

Course Code

MFQ-ML3L-1114

Course Overview

The English Literature course includes a broad range of styles and genres, from the established canon to contemporary writing. You will develop knowledge and understanding of the writer’s craft and how language, form and structure are used to create meaning.

Course Requirements

PLEASE NOTE – YOU MUST APPLY FOR 3 A LEVELS

Standard A Level entry requirements: 5 x GCSE grade 5’s or above (must include Maths and English Language).

What you will Learn

English Literature enables students to develop critical and analytical skills; these are highly valued by employers and universities. The course complements all arts, humanities and sciences. Staff are passionate about the subject and eager to share their love of learning with students. The classroom environment is engaging and stimulating.

Assessment

You will take three exams after two years (worth 80% of the course); the other 20% is coursework.

Progression

English Literature enables students to develop critical and analytical skills; these are highly valued by employers and universities. You will be able to articulate independent opinions and judgements; your spoken and written style will be increasingly fluent, eloquent and coherent.

Such skills are desirable whatever path you choose to take. The following professions are some of those chosen by English Literature students: Journalist, Solicitor, Publisher, Editor, PR/Marketing, Teaching (including overseas opportunities), Academia, Advertising, Social Work, Civil Service.

Career Options

JournalistSolicitorPublisherEditorPR/MarketingTeaching and academic careers (including overseas opportunities)AdvertisingLibrarianCivil Service

Mandatory Units

The qualification requires students to study eight literary texts over the two years of the course. Texts to be studied include: A Streetcar Named Desire, The Duchess of Malfi, King Lear, The Whitsun Weddings, Mean Time, a selection of Blake’s poetry and two prose texts for coursework.

Contact Details

For further information please contact T: 0161 886 7070 or E: info@trafford.ac.uk

Extra Costs Involved

Exam Validation Body

Hours Per Week

How Long To Complete

Programme Structure

Contact Details

Disclaimer

Although every care has been taken to ensure that the information contained within this document is accurate, there may be changes to this programme and provision. We will endeavour to keep prospective and current students updated where appropriate and when the information becomes available.
READY TO begin your journey?

Apply Now

MARPLE sixth form at a glance
Our Open Day is your chance to explore the College and find out the range of opportunities on offer from A Levels, vocational courses to enrichment.

Next Event
Thursday 21st March 2024

4:30pm-7:00pm

Course not quite right for you?

try these similar courses