A Level in History

Level 1 Diploma

Course Location


Marple College


Marple College

Further Details


College 16-18


A Levels

Course Start Date

Monday 2nd September 2024

Course Duration

Full-time, 1 Year

Course Time

Course Fee

£ 1987.00
You may be eligible for support with your tuition fees - please visit the college website - funding and finance page for further information

Course Code


Course Overview

To make sense of the world we live in it is essential to understand key events, individuals, movements and conflicts that have shaped history. History’s importance goes beyond the subject’s intrinsic interest and appeal. Every aspect of our lives, from our beliefs, culture, institutions, language and way of life are all shaped by the past. The course follows the theme of ‘revolutions’ in modern and early modern Europe.

Course Requirements


Standard A Level entry requirements: 5 x GCSE grade 5’s or above (must include Maths and English Language). However, certain subjects may have additional entry criteria, which can be found below:

Additional Entry Requirements:
A Level History will require grade 5 in GCSE History.

What you will Learn

History is taught by a team of highly qualified, experienced and enthusiastic teachers. Teachers at the college have written officially endorsed textbooks used on the course and are experienced examiners. Study visits develop students’ understanding of history. You will be taught through discussion, research, group work, student conferences, university visits, field trips and individual research.You will study a variety of early modern and modern topics. Your lessons will be delivered by expert staff who have authored textbooks and are experienced examiners. You will carry out independent investigative research that equips you with skills required at university. Visits to Parliament, castles, battlefields and other historic sites are available.


You will take three exams after two years (worth 80% of the course) and the other 20% is coursework, focusing on a historical controversy.


Once you’ve finished you’ll have a range of useful skills including the ability to analyse, debate, create a strong argument and communicate effectively. These will be a really big help to you at university and in employment. A well trained historian can deal with lots of facts, arguments and viewpoints and build up strong arguments. Employers rate the skills of a historian very highly and history students find employment in a wide range of jobs including research, journalism and the media, management and public relations.

Career Options

History can lead you into a variety of different careers, including law, politics and business, journalism, social work and public services, and of course, teaching.

Mandatory Units

The course follows the theme of ‘revolutions’ in modern and early modern Europe. You will study the political, religious, social and economic changes that took place in Britain between 1625 and 1701, the revolutionary events in Russia between 1894 and 1924 and the Witch Craze in Europe and North America between c1580 and 1750.

Contact Details

For further information please contact T: 0161 886 7070 or E: info@trafford.ac.uk

Extra Costs Involved

Exam Validation Body

Hours Per Week

How Long To Complete

Programme Structure

Contact Details


Although every care has been taken to ensure that the information contained within this document is accurate, there may be changes to this programme and provision. We will endeavour to keep prospective and current students updated where appropriate and when the information becomes available.
READY TO begin your journey?

Apply Now

Course not quite right for you?

try these similar courses